Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Merry be got

I am robin's son,
I am hood's son,
I am john's son,
I am the merry be got.
I am the fruit of the greenwood marriage.
Do not tell the priest of my parents art,
for he would call it a sin,
for they have been out in the wood's all night,
a-gathering summer in,
aye a-gathering summer in.
Be you married already my sweets then lay your gold ring to one side,
and if you be not a-promised my heart then you will be free to decide
for tonight you can dance in the greenwood my dear,
tonight your are puck's blessed bride.
Pick and you choose of the young and old flesh,
for it be yours for the taking
and if the sun rise while you still are creating
then all the better for the good land's a-making.
You, precious one are the bride of the sun and he will be what you will.
For if you are true to the land being anew then all will be well my sweeting.
And when you have dozed pon your mother's soft bosom
and risen with the dawn's early light
then dance my dear heart cross the burgeoning fields
with your footsteps so blessedly light.
Bring the sun and the rain and the gentle soft breeze to spread all the life here asunder.
May it divide and replenish all those who would thirst and desire for what they do hunger.
Be bold my young child,
my merry be got,
the fruit of the god and the goddess.
Spread joy in your path and never forget that your innocent song is the one truth.

1 comment:

dormerportal said...

Aw shucks, ta. merry be got was the term used to describe a child that was conceived when people went off "a-maying" with or without a partner into the woods and fields on Beltane (May Day) eve. This was a very important fertility festival and so to make love at this time was like a sort of sympathetic magic. If you were married you could still join in the fun by leaving your wedding ring at home! Children that were conceived as a result were often called Robin's son (Robinson) as Robin Hood was such a popular folk hero and often associated with the green man/puck/robin goodfellow, or Hood's son (Hudson) or John's Son (Johnson) as Little John often featured in their folklore too. Merry be got's were considered to be children of the god and goddess.